Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Homemade Bread and Shepard's Pie!

Sorry for the poor quality, these pictures were taken on my iPhone...

Irish Shepard Pie Recipe (via Food Wishes)

Ingredients:
For lamb mixture:
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 diced onion
2 pounds lean ground lamb
1/3 cup flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
3 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp ketchup
2 1/2 cups water or broth (use more or less to adjust thickness as needed)
12 oz bag frozen peas and carrots, thawed, drained well

For the potato topping:
2 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes
1 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/4 pound Irish cheddar
1 egg yolk beaten with 2 tbsp milk

Few notes: I found lamb meat at Sprouts Supermarket and I just asked if they can group it for me and they did! I used yellow cheddar cheese instead of white, not because I like yellow cheddar more but because I was an idiot and bought the wrong kind at the store. Also the water should be added into the lamb mixture a little bit at a time! I added the full 2.5 cups of water at once and it was way too much so it took awhile and more flour before it thickened. 

Homemade Bread Recipe (via Food Wishes)


Ingredients:
For the sponge:
1 1/2 teaspoon dry active yeast
1/2 cup AP flour
1/2 cup warm water (about 100 degrees)
Then:
12 oz bottled beer
18 ounces AP flour (about 4 cups)
1 1/2 teaspoon fine salt

Few notes: The first time I tried this recipe I messed up and bought a Gingerbread Ale which is a darker beer and it made a darker bread with a pretty strong beer smell and taste. I did not like it at all so the second time I used Stella Artolis! I should've known to buy a beer that I would actually drink! This one turned out PERFECT. No hint of beer smell or taste.  This is a super easy recipe that makes a gorgeous and delicious bread! Everyone should try it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...